17,283 Students and Out-of-School Youth (OSY) to be given employment in 2016
April 01, 2016
The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) Region 9 with its Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES) is targeting to assist 17,283 poor but deserving students and out-of-school youths (OSY) region-wide, intending to pursue their education by encouraging employment during summer, Christmas vacation or any time of the year for students in the tertiary, technical, or vocational level.
Qualified applicants shall be placed for employment and shall be covered by an Employment Contract with the employer. Student beneficiaries shall likewise be insured under the Group Personal Accident Insurance (GPAI) of the Government Service Insurance System (GSIS).
Employment for the year-round implementation shall not be less than 20 days nor more than 52 days within a period of one year.
With the 60/40 payment of salary scheme, employers, who may either be any person or entity employing at least 10 persons, including private establishments, national government agencies, LGUs, government-owned or controlled corporations, educational institutions, labor unions and other similar organizations and associations, will pay 60% of the student's salary or wage, in cash, while the remaining 40% of the applicable minimum wage or hiring rate shall be paid by DOLE in a form of an education voucher.
Presently, there are 153 public and private sector employers who submitted their Pledge of Commitment to participate in the said Program, from which, DOLE9 is expected to counter about P45.6 million as its 40% share.